We had a great Back To School Night on Wednesday, 9/25/19, with over 150 children and adults participating! Thank you to all who participated!
We hope you will join us for more family participation events that we are offering in October:
- Tuesday, October 15, at 10:00 a.m. we invite Grandparents (or “grandparents for the day”) to join us for our annual Pumpkin Picking Hayride event, which is held right here at Peppermint Tree. Children who do not attend on Tuesdays, are invited to come in to participate with their class. No RSVP needed, just come and enjoy! (Rain date: Thursday, October 17)
- Thursday, October 24th, at 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. we invite all parents/guardians to attend our Parent Group Meeting.. Child Care is provided free of charge. This is your opportunity to meet with Miss Val every month, and to meet other parents to work together to create the community we want for our children and families. We plan family activities, parent workshops, and provide valuable feedback to the school director to assure we are meeting your needs. Please RSVP for this meeting, so we can assure enough materials for parents and proper number of child care staff.
- Thursday, October 31 at 10:00 a.m. we invite Parents/Guardians to join us for our annual Halloween Parade. Children who do not attend on Thursdays, are invited to come in to participate with their class. No RSVP needed, just come and enjoy! Please have children already dressed in their costumes, with their regular clothes underneath, and please plan to stay and help your child out of their costume after the parade. No masks or weapons are permitted. (Note: There will be no rain date for the Halloween Parade. If it is rainy, the event will be cancelled and the children will celebrate in their classrooms.)
We hope to see all of you during these events. Let’s have a great October together.
Valerie Frost-Lewis, MS Ed. (“Miss Val”)
Please sign up to bring in Lunch Time Milk
According to the USDA nutrition guidelines, children should drink water between meals, milk with meals, and limit juice intake. To help support our families in providing healthy drinks for our children, we make water available to all children, all day, both indoors and out. We do not serve juice.
If you send juice from home, we ask that you only send 100% juice and limit to one juice sent in per day. Tap water is always made available. You may send in bottled water if you prefer.
At lunch time, we serve 1% Organic Milk. We are asking each family to take a turn sending in milk for their classroom (1 gallon for Prechool and Pre-K, and 1/2 gallon for Early Learners–1% Organic Milk) .
We just need one family per classroom per week. Families started to sign up at Back to School Night and Orientation. If you did not yet sign up for a week to send in milk, or need a reminder on the date you picked, just call the office: 732-929-2500 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Toms River Schools- Closed on Monday, October 14th: There is no school at Peppermint Tree for those following the Toms River Schools calendar.
On the days Toms River Schools are closed, for those of you who are registered for our Peppermint Tree calendar, we are open and we will be expecting your child to attend. But please be advised that every teacher does not work every holiday. We also do not use every classroom. Please prepare your child for these changes.
If you follow the Toms River calendar or attend 9:00 – 11:30 (quarter day) we will not be expecting your child on these days. But, if you need child care on these days please call the office and we can arrange to care for your child, on a space available basis. You will be billed for the care on a per day basis.
Fire Truck Visit and Fire Safety Demonstration, Wednesday, October 9th at 10:00 a.m.
Thanks to Mrs. Foley’s husband, Doug Foley, who is a local firefighter, we will have firefighters visit in a firetruck on Wednesday, October 9th at 10:00 a.m. They will demonstrate their equipment, and allow the children a chance to get into the big truck. They will also discuss Fire Safety. This visit is a part of National “Fire Prevention Week”, during which we will discuss fire safety in the classrooms. We will be teaching “Stop, Drop and Roll”.
Any children who do not normally attend on a Wednesday are welcome to come with an adult to the Firetruck visit on October 9th at 10:00 a.m.
Mrs. Diver’s Class: Please RSVP to Mrs. Diver for the special family “Mudfest” event being held on Tuesday, October 8th at 5:30 p.m. (Rain Date: Wednesday, October 9th at 5:30 p.m.)
Mrs. Diver is inviting her classroom’s families to a fun event at 5:30 p.m. on 10/8. Lots of activities involving mud and dirt are planned! She needs to hear back from each family in her class so she can plan materials appropriately.
Please consider joining our Parent Group – next meeting Thursday, 10/24 @ 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Our next meeting will be Thursday, October 24th at 6:00 p.m. All staff and parents are welcome to attend. We provide child care at no additional charge during the one hour meeting. We will be reviewing the results of our family event survey and planning new events at our next meeting. Please complete and return the survey, if you have not yet done so. This will help us plan relevant activities for all of us. Thanks.
Peppermint Tree’s Child Nutrition Policy
Because children need a variety of healthy foods to grow and develop and learn, we are asking parents to send in healthy meals and snacks. Children need whole grain, dairy, protein, fruit and vegetable at each lunch, and at least two of those food groups at snack each day. We are teaching this to the children, as well. We will not serve candy or sugary drinks; they will be sent back home. Our policy at lunch is to take out items from each food group for the children and make a healthy plate of food for them. This is part of their learning experience. Even if they do not eat all of it, they are seeing what a healthy plate of food is. They will be encouraged to smell the foods, even to just lick them, or take a small taste, to get them accustomed to foods from each food group.
For birthdays, if you would like to send in a treat for your child’s class, we are asking that you send in something healthy, such as fruit, cheese and crackers, etc. Please note: due to our licensing requirements, we can not serve home baked goods to the class. All items sent in for school time celebrations must be store bought and please include the ingredients label.
Accident Report Procedure
Please note that if your child gets a bump, bruise, or scrape, etc., we will note it on an accident report, and ask the parent to sign it at the end of the day. Parents only should sign this report, unless the parent has provided alternate permission. If there is any bump to the head or face we will call you at the time of the accident, as well.
- Please return all paperwork, including medical forms, etc.
- Please check your child’s backpack each day and remove papers and art work sent home from school.
- Please send your child to school wearing sneakers on their feet…these are the safest on the playground.
- Every child under the age of five MUST have a flu shot between September 1st and December 31 each school year. Please send in your child’s immunization update when this is completed.
- Please shut off your car engine when you come to pick up your child, especially if you are waiting in the drop off or pick up line. Please…no idling…Children are Breathing!
- Please do not leave your car if you are in the drop off or pick up line at 9:00, 11:30 or 2:00. Please do not leave your car unattended in the line during those times. If you decide to come into the building with your child, please park in the back parking lot, or along the street before or after the yellow curb. Please don’t park at the end of our driveway, forward of the school. This makes it too difficult for people to turn into the school.
- Please drive SLOWLY in our driveway and parking lot.
- Label everything: backpacks (on the OUTSIDE – in LARGE PRINT), lunch boxes (on the OUTSIDE), jackets, sweaters, all clothes, etc.
- Send in an extra set of clothes, including socks.