Happy New Year to all of our families and staff! We hope you and your family had wonderful holidays together. We have a lot in store for your children and for the whole family in 2019. As a reminder, we are closed for the holiday on Monday, December 31, 2018 and Tuesday, January 1, 2019, and we will re-open on Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
I am so thankful and excited to let you know, that as a community, we raised just over $400.00 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society through our Pajama Days in December. Thank you to all who participated!!
Announcing … ONLINE REGISTRATION FOR FALL 2019 IS NOW OPEN! We are offering in-house priority registration to our current students so you can save a spot for your child before we open the registration up to the public. You may complete the registration form and pay the registration fee on our website to save your child’s spot for the next school year.
Here is the link to register using our secure online form: https://www.pepperminttree.com/registration/
Here is our registration schedule:
- In-House Priority Registration for Fall 2019 for current families only: December 26, 2018 – January 15, 2019. As of January 16, 2019, Fall 2019 registration will be open to the public. Online registration is open now, and we are sending home a paper registration form during the week of January 2, 2019.
- In-House Priority Registration for Summer Camp 2019 for current families only: January 16, 2019 – January 31, 2019. As of February 1, 2019, Summer Camp registration will be open to the public. We were 100% sold out last summer (with a long waiting list), so please register during the in-house priority registration period to ensure you get a spot and the schedule you need! If your child has not attended our summer camp in the past, you can learn more about it on our website: http://www.pepperminttree.com/our-summer-program/
(NOTE: We are currently working on the 2019 Summer Camp Calendar of trips and activities. The 2018 calendar is currently posted on our website at the above link (scroll all the way down), so you can get an idea of the very active summer we offer. There is an optional field trip every week and also a visitor every week. Lots of choices and options. You don’t have to wait for the camp activity calendar to be completed to save your child’s spot in camp, since we allow children to sign up for any trip or activity, even if it is not their regularly scheduled day. Trip & Activity sign ups do not occur until late Spring.)
We guarantee a spot for all currently enrolled children in the next school year and in camp, as long as each child is registered during the “In-House Priority Registration Period” for each program. Completed registration entails completing the one-page registration form on paper or online, and paying the registration fee. Once registration is open to the public, space is saved on a first come, first serve basis.
As always, my door is open to you. If there are any questions, ideas or concerns you’d like to discuss, please feel free to call or email me, or stop in.
All the best in 2019!
Valerie Frost-Lewis, MS Ed.
Parent Group Meeting, Monday, January 14, at 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Child Care provided free of charge. All parents/guardians are welcome. Please RSVP.
All staff and parents are invited to attend our next Parent group meeting. At these meetings we work together to plan events and activities for our families. This is a great way to get to know other parents and have a say in what we offer to families at Peppermint Tree. Our Parent Group was responsible for organizing our awesome Multicultural Feast, and the recent Pajama Night. We hope you will join us! Please send me an email if you can attend (email@example.com), or send a note in to your child’s teacher. We provide free child care during the meeting.
Parent Workshop, Thursday, January 24th, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. entitled: “Parenting Strategies: Setting up Routines for Better Behavior”. Child care provided free of charge. Please RSVP.
Behavior Analyst and Peppermint Tree parent Colleen O’Donnell will present parenting strategies around setting daily routines for children to support positive behavior. We will discuss real-life situations and strategies we can all use. This is sure to be a great opportunity for us to discuss various ways to guide our children’s behavior. (Behavior guidance strategies was a leading workshop topic requested by parents on our Fall survey, so we hope many families will participate!)
Monday, January 21st is a Child Care Day- No Classes, as Toms River Schools are Closed
Just a reminder that we do not hold our regular classes when Toms River Schools are closed, however we do provide child care. Those children who follow the Toms River Schools calendar with us are not expected to attend on these days. However, if you need care, you may arrange with the office to add 1/21 to your child’s schedule on a space available basis. Those children who follow our full Peppermint Tree Calendar will be on our list to attend on 1/21, if they normally attend on Mondays, so no need to arrange in advance for those families.
Free Eye Screening will be offered on January 22 & January 23 at 9:30 a.m. – Completed Permission Forms are due by January 17th (Forms to be sent home to parents 1/2/19)
The Lions Club will be performing free eye screening for our students on Tuesday and Wednesday, January 22 & 23. We will be sending home a permission form that must be returned in advance, by January 17th, in order for your child to participate. Students who attend in the morning are able to be screened. Eye screening is done in the public school, so our school age children are not involved in this activity.
2018 Tax Statements
Please note that we will send out your 2018 tax statement (that many of you need for your tax returns) during January. Please set it aside for when you work on your 2018 tax returns.
Mark your Calendars for Upcoming Family Events
- “Pajama Night/Parents Night Out”, Friday February 8th, 6:00 p.m. – 9;00 p.m. This is offered by our Parent group and Miss Val. More details to follow.
- “Rhythm & Arithmetic: An Evening of Music and Math Games, Tuesday, February 26th, 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., presented by parents Katie Sherman (Music & Movement) and Doreen Carrone (Math Games). Our parent group will be coordinating this event to also include snacks. More details to follow.
- “Family Luau Party”, Friday, March 29th, 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. More details to follow.
- “Ice Cream Social” Monday, May 9th, 6:30 p.m. More details to follow.
Annual Flu Shots REMINDER (If not yet completed) Please send in updated immunization record by 12/31/18. The Health Department requires the annual Flu shot for all children in Preschool, under the age of 5.
As per the State of New Jersey requirements, all children who attend Peppermint Tree who are under 5 years of age, must get an annual Flu shot, before December 31. Please send in proof of this vaccination for your child’s file. As an alternative to visiting your child’s pediatrician for the Flu vaccine, you can visit the website for the Ocean County Health Department to find out when they are giving flu shots. There is a lot of good health related information on their website as well. www.OCHD.org Please note, the Ocean County Health Department audits our student records for immunizations.
In case of snowy or icy conditions, please look out for a text from us (if you have signed up for our “Remind” text program, or check our website announcement on the home page, or your email inbox for updates about school opening on these days. We also provide this information to WOBM radio “Storm Watch” and FIOS Stormwatch, and change our outgoing phone message. We make every effort to be open, however the safety of our staff and families is our first concern. As a guideline, if The Toms River Public Schools have a delayed opening or are closed due to inclement weather, the earliest we will open is 8:30 a.m. This will give us time to get our driveway and walkways plowed, salted and sanded and determine if we will delay further or have to close for the day. There are no refunds or credits for inclement weather closings. As a reminder, we have built three snow days into our school calendar this year.
- Please label all of your child’s belongings that come to school.
- No toys from home are allowed at Peppermint Tree
- Please dress your child for outdoor play, including mittens (NOT gloves) and hats. No boots or scarves. If there is snow on the ground, we will not play in the snow, however, we will take the children outside to play in the plowed areas (we place traffic cones to block our driveway when we do this).
- Please save “BOXTOPS FOR EDUCATION” and send them in to your child’s teacher. Thank you for sending them in!! Thank you to Kristen Bernstein for managing the BoxTops program for us!