Happy New Year to all of our families and staff! We hope you and your family had wonderful holidays together. We have a lot in store for your children and for the whole family in 2018. As a reminder, we are closed for the holiday on Monday, January, 1, 2017, and we will re-open on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
We are very proud to announce that Peppermint Tree has earned a 4-star rating by the State of New Jersey in the Grow NJ Kids Quality Rating and Improvement system. This is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our staff. Please offer them congratulations, when you see each of them. They went through four days of on-site observations, a myriad of trainings, and have proven they are truly “4-star” early educators!
I also wanted to announce … ONLINE REGISTRATION FOR FALL 2018 IS NOW OPEN! We are offering in-house priority registration to our current students so you can save a spot for your child before we open the registration up to the public. You may complete the registration form and pay the registration fee on our website to save your child’s spot for the next school year.
Here is the link to register using our secure online form: https://www.pepperminttree.com/registration/
Here is our registration schedule:
- In-House Priority Registration for Fall 2018 for current families only: December 28, 2017 – January 15, 2017. As of January 16, 2018, Fall 2018 registration will be open to the public. Online registration is open now, and we are sending home a paper registration form during the week of January 2, 2018.
- In-House Priority Registration for Summer Camp 2018 for current families only: January 16, 2018 – January 31, 2018. As of February 1, 2018, Summer Camp registration will be open to the public. We were 100% sold out last summer, so please register during the in-house priority registration period to ensure you get a spot and the schedule you need! If your child has not attended our summer camp in the past, you can learn more about it on our website: http://www.pepperminttree.com/our-summer-program/
As always, my door is open to you. If there are any questions, ideas or concerns you’d like to discuss, please feel free to call or email me, or stop in.
All the best in 2018!
Valerie Frost-Lewis, MS Ed.
Parent Group Meeting, Monday, January 8, at 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Child Care provided free of charge. All parents/guardians are welcome. Please RSVP.
All staff and parents are invited to attend our next Parent group Meeeting meeting. At these meetings we work together to plan events and activities for our families. This is a great way to get to know other parents and have a say in what we offer to families at Peppermint Tree. Our Parent Group was responsible for organizing our awesome Thanksgiving Feast, and the recent Pajama Night. We hope you will join us! Please send me an email if you can attend (firstname.lastname@example.org), or send a note in to your child’s teacher. We provide free child care during the meeting.
Parent Workshop, Wednesday, January 17th, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. entitled: “Parenting Strategies for Positive Behavior”. Child care provided free of charge. Please RSVP.
Behavior Analyst Colleen O’Donnell will join our Director, Valerie Frost-Lewis, in a discussion on parenting strategies to support positive behavior in young children. We will discuss real-life situations and strategies we can all use. This is sure to be a great opportunity for us to discuss various ways to teach our children appropriate behavor. (This was the number one workshop topic requested by parents on our Fall survey, so we hope many families will participate!)
Free Eye Screening will be offered on January 23 & January 24 at 9:30 a.m. – Completed Permission Forms are due by January 19th (Forms to be sent home to parents 1/2/17)
The Lions Club will be performing free eye screening for our students on Tuesday and Wednesday, January 23 & 24. We will be sending home a permission form that must be returned in advance, by January 19th, in order for your child to participate. Students who attend in the morning are able to be screened. Eye screening is done in the public school, so our school age children are not involved in this activity.
Miss Val’s “Brain Lessons” will begin over the next couple of months
In the Preschool and older classrooms, Miss Val will be visiting the classrooms to help the children in exploring how the brain works, and discovering that the harder they work it, the stronger it gets. We will also be learning that our brain grows when we work it, so you can always improve your skills. The children will be involved in a variety of activities around this theme that include reading books about famous inventors who had to keep trying before they succeeded, singing songs that reinforce persistence, and also doing art projects and movement exercises. This should be fun, and I am hoping to help instill in The Peppermint Tree children a life lesson that will carry them through all of their years in school and into the work place. I developed these lessons based on the latest brain research, and it was the basis of the final work done to complete my Master’s Degree in Early Childhood Education.
Monday, January 15th is a Child Care Day- No Classes, as Toms River Schools are Closed
Just a reminder that we do not hold our regular classes when Toms River Schools are closed, however we do provide child care. Those children who follow the Toms River Schools calendar with us are not expected to attend on these days. However, if you need care, you may arrange with the office to add 1/15 to your child’s schedule on a space available basis. Those children who follow our full Peppermint Tree Calendar will be on our list to attend on 1/15, if they normally attend on Mondays, so no need to arrange in advance for those families.
Tuesday & Wednesday, January 30 & 31 – Dental Hygienist visits at 9:30 a.m.
We have arranged for a Dental Hygienist to come in to provide a special lesson on taking care of our teeth. The children will learn about brushing, flossing and eating healthy foods.
2017 Tax Statements
Please note that we will send out your 2017 tax statement (that many of you need for your tax returns) during January. Please set it aside for when you work on your 2017 tax returns.
- Please label all of your child’s belongings that come to school.
- No toys from home are allowed at Peppermint Tree
- Please dress your child for outdoor play, including mittens (NOT gloves) and hats. No boots or scarves. If there is snow on the ground, we will not play in the snow, however, we will take the children outside to play in the plowed areas (we place traffic cones to block our driveway when we do this).
- Please save “BOXTOPS FOR EDUCATION” and send them in to your child’s teacher. Thank you for sending them in!! Thank you to Kristen Bernstein for managing the BoxTops program for us!