Registrations for Fall 2012 are now flowing into the office from current families and we will be opening up registration up to the public as of February 1st. Please fill out your child’s registration form either on paper & hand in to your child’s teacher, or on-line at our website www.pepperminttree.com, and send in the $75.00 family registration fee as soon as possible if you would like to reserve a spot for your child at Peppermint Tree next Fall. Space is saved on a first come, first reserved basis. This includes registration for Full Day or Extended Day Kindergarten, as well as our Early Learners Preschool starting at 2 years of age, our Preschool class (3 years), Pre-K class (4 years) and our Before and After Elementary School programs for East Dover and Cedar Grove Schools.
Parents or Grandparents, do you have an interesting hobby you could share with the children? Or, would you like to come in to your child’s classroom to explain what your job is? Children benefit greatly from seeing their own parent in the classroom, also they learn so much about the world when we share our work and our passions. Please write a note to your child’s teacher if you would like to come in some time!
As always, if you have any questions about the programs we are offering, please call (732) 929-2500.
Valerie Frost-Lewis, MS Ed.
Summer Camp Registration
We will offer priority in-house registration for our current Peppermint Tree families beginning February 13th. Watch your child’s backpack for the registration form. The Peppermint Tree Summer Camp program is available to children who are 2.5 years old through fifth grade graduates. We are starting to plan lots of fun trips and activities, so we hope you will join us. Our Camp Director is Mrs. Carol Sullivan.
We are offering:
School Agers Camp: For kids graduating 1st – 5th grades
Junior Camp: For kids 2.5 years through Kindergarten graduates
Both camps offer plenty of choices for everyone, fun for all!
- Enriching and entertaining visitors
- Swimming daily in our on-site pools (weather permitting)
- Field Trips
- Arts & Crafts, nature, ball games
- Scavenger hunts & more!
Vision Screening (Free) and Speech and Language Screening ($20.00 fee) being offered this month
Information and permission slips will be sent home regarding each of these screenings. Both screenings are optional an no screening is ever performed without written permission from the child’s parent or guardian. On Friday, February 24th, Caryn Zieve, Lead Therapist from Classic Pediatric Center for Therapy will be offering speech and language screenings for those two years of age through Kindergarten, at a cost of $20.00 per child. And on Wednesday, February 29th, the State of New Jersey Commission for the Blind will be here to provide vision screening free of charge. Both screenings are held during the morning session. You may bring your child in if you want the screening, but your child does not normally attend on the day of the screening.
We are looking for a “Paddington Bear”-stuffed animal from the story book. Does anyone have one they can loan to Mrs. Sullivan’s class, or would anyone want to donate one? Let us know. Thanks.
Toms River School Holidays in February
Please note the The Toms River Schools will be closed on Friday, 2/17 and Monday 2/20 for President’s Weekend. Our students who follow the Toms River Schools calendar do not have school at The Peppermint Tree on those days. However, we will be open for Child Care Only for our children following The Peppermint Tree calendar. Our doors will open at 7:30 a.m. on those days (not 7:00 a.m.) Please call the office if you need child care on either or both of those days, and your child follows the TR Schools calendar, so we may add the day(s) to your child’s schedule.
Winter Weather Reminder
If the Toms River schools are closed due to snow, our children who follow the TR calendar DO NOT HAVE SCHOOL. We will announce our delays and closings on our website www.pepperminttree.com, our phone message, and 94.3 WOBM Stormwatch, and we will send an email message to families and staff.
If Toms River Schools have a delayed opening or are closed, we will automatically have an 8:30 opening at the earliest (and not 7:00 a.m.). This will allow the street plowing and sanding to occur before our staff and families hit the road for the morning. This will also give us time to assess the weather and road conditions to determine if we can open or if we will have to close for the day.
Lots of Upcoming Events–Please Mark Your Calendars:
- Tuesday, Feb. 7 @ 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. – Parent and Staff Workshop: Discipline Empowering Adults and Children, at The Children’s Home Society, 1433 Hooper Avenue, 3rd floor. RSVP to Peppermint Tree office.
- Friday, Feb. 10 @ 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. – Pajama Club Children wear PJ’s and eat pizza, watch movies and enjoy popcorn while Mom & Dad get a chance to go out! $3.00 per child. (Space is limited. RSVP required)
- Friday March 2 – “Read Across America” Parents and Grandparents are invited in to our classrooms all week (Feb 27 – Mar 2) to read a story at 10:00 a.m. each day. You must arrange the date with your child’s teacher, so we do not have too many visitors in a particular classroom at one time.
- Monday, March 5 @ 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – Strengthening Families Initiative, Next Meeting Our meeting will be held downstairs in The Peppermint Tree office, and all parents and staff are welcome to help plan ways to support our families. Join us!
- Friday, March 23 @ 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Family Crafty Recycling Night Bring recyclables and make crafty creations together with your child. Our creations will then be on exhibit at the Ocean County Library!
- Saturday, April 28 @ 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Ocean County Children’s Festival. This is a FREE event, held at Toms River Intermediate School North, filled with lots of activities for the kids. The children of The Peppermint Tree will be performing on stage with Mr. Scott the Music Man. (with parental/guardian’s permission)
- Monday, May 7 @ 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Annual Ice Cream Social Make your own sundaes, Mr. Scott the Music Man and lots of fun surprises. The whole family is invited.